Johannesburg is a young city that is yet to celebrate its second centenary, and already it has an incredible history and legacy. The settlement sprang up in 1886 when prospectors found gold in the area now known as the Witwatersrand. When the discovery became public, thousands flocked here in search of fortune and new opportunities. Today, Johannesburg still attracts those who want to realise their dreams and achieve success.
Facts about Joburg
• Johannesburg has become an internationally renowned and vibrant metropolis, with 3.5 million inhabitants
• It is the most powerful commercial centre on the African continent
• Johannesburg generates 16 percent of South Africa's GDP and employs 12 percent of the national workforce
• Its infrastructure matches leading first world cities, yet the cost of living is far lower
• The city is recognized as the financial capital of South Africa and is home to 74 percent of Corporate Headquarters
• South Africa’s only stock exchange, the Johannesburg Securities Exchange (JSE) rates as one of the top 20 exchanges in the world in terms of market capitalisation
20 fun things to do in Joburg
1. Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens
11. Take in the view from the tallest skyscraper in Africa!